Monday, December 6, 2010

Columbus Oh Body Wax For Men

Fifteen pounds : Early leafing

It falls the first real snow of winter. A fluffy snow, light and fluid that is almost fun to shovel. Opportunity to return to oneself.

***

There are some channels on the web we like to self-administer. Grand livrophage, I could not miss one of the fifteen books that struck me. The orders were 15 books in 15 minutes. I did it for the list, but I can not help to explain why these books struck me. It takes a while that I did not really end of the session but it keep me busy month of December. Here are the top three:

Laurentian The Flora Marie-Victorin.

I bought with my first paycheck of my first summer job. This is a technical book, a monument of botany in Quebec that allowed me to put a name on the plants around me. But it is also literature at times. Thus, describing the red maple Marie-Victorin flies:
"In the fall, carbohydrates whose tissue is saturated chlorophyll, anthocyanin and turn into brightly colored leaves red-purple. Our woods become incomparably beautiful. The pentes sourceuses des Laurentides et les forêts de la plaine alluviale forment des horizons sanglants où sur le vert profond des résineux s'ajoutent, chevauchent et se fondent les gammes infinies des teintes que le rouge a sur sa palette.»
 Avouez que ça étonne dans un livre scientifique...  Un très beau site en reprend le contenu. Et non, je n’ai pas acheté la nouvelle édition avec les photos couleur, la reclassification des espèces botaniques me déconcerte trop.

La Rage de Louis Hamelin



When I bought this book, the title suited my mood. I had to empty my desk at community radio, I was enraged against the scheming pseudo marketing guy who had put an end to what was after all one of the most beautiful times of my life (and radio, their failure was pathetic). I knew the book by reputation, the track suited me. I open the brick. The bed in one go, into the wee hours of the morning. I won a radio.

was the book I wanted to write. At first, I dropped my vague literary ambitions to return to my other passion, geography. I have often sung the praises of Louis here, met him sometimes, enough to know that it's a nice guy, very funny, curious and turned on. Many other writers have talent (hello Mistral!), But Louis touches me with a profound sense of territory that gladdens the heart of the geographer.



Walden by Henry David Thoreau.


It must be well Getting a Grip by an old I found this classic of American literature. Thoreau recounts a year spent in a small cabin on Walden Pond, somewhere not far from his village in Massachusetts. There is much in this book some more puritanical America but also seduced by the sensuality of nature and life in the woods.



I always brought teens when I went walking in the woods of Mont Saint-Bruno, quite recently national park. There was a small lake completely wild scarcely known people of the place. It is by imitation that I learned the joys of skinny dipping, to let me float in the warm layer of surface waters to avoid cold depths and also looking at the sky dreaming.

My Walden to me at Mont-Saint-Bruno

So much for today. I hesitate to add my list.
Know yet it ends in all the world atlas.
I think it surprised my friends ...

0 comments:

Post a Comment