Monday, February 14, 2011

Symbol Palm Tree 2 Crossed Swords Pendant

Kudos for a photo exhibition really fashion

When we were little one to school each year, we had to fill out this form which one of the questions was: "You want to do anything later? . While some know immediately what they want to be when they grow up, I think I just made my weathervane (while staying in the same world finally). So after my actress / singer / model (circa 5 / 6 years) for several years, I have answered only one thing: a fashion photographer. I think that phase lasted from the early college high school. We can say that it is a little fault of my Momma. If some mothers are Instead, IT or Marie Claire, Paris Match was mine. And then I fell under the spell of the many photo sets featuring actresses. I started collecting them. I tore the pages and store them in a binder. Then I started looking at the names of photographers, retain, ie even recognize their pictures without looking at the signature. Of course, I had my preferences: my first big blow of heart was to sour the universe of David La Chapelle, then I just happened when I discovered the remains of his work much more trash. Then I I am passionate about the pictures of Ellen Von Unwerth (which is still one of my favorites). And there was of course the classics: Herb Ritts, Demarchelier, Leibovitz and I forget.

I even got my period "practice." In high school I took photography courses and summer I used the black and white film provided to a pre-determined to reproduce my favorite shots with my friends in the role of supermodel stars. There were a few things to save but it was not a great success. Should we say n’avait rien de top model ;) Je me suis en fait rapidement rendue compte qu’il fallait un talent énorme pour faire ce métier, talent que je n’avais pas. J’ai donc bifurqué vers d’autres envies de carrières (dans le foot) avant d’atterrir totalement par hasard dans le monde du féminin. On pourrait dire que la boucle est bouclée.

Mais même si je ne rêve plus de devenir une grande photographe, je continue de me passionner pour la question et arpente donc les expos sur le sujet dès que je le peux. Lorsqu’on m’a invité à découvrir l’exposition Sacha Photographe de Mode à l’Institut Néerlandais en avant-première et in the presence of Sasha herself, I did not hesitate a second. Sacha Van Dorssen is a Dutch-born photographer who arrived in Paris in the 60s to become a photographer. She made her first shoot for ELLE by chance, then went to work for the magazine, before collaborating with Marie Claire for over 20 years. She also worked for other European publications, photographed ad campaigns (including Yves Saint Laurent) and illustrated many books (including one on Dior).

Honestly, I do not know Sacha before discovering this retrospective, necessarily 10/15 years ago because I was more celebrity photos Paris Match and that women's magazines and fashion shoots true. But I fell in love with his work. His photos are just gorgeous and without the help of photoshop. Actually it is quite nice to see great photos where the models are beautiful (but not anorexic) without being touched up everywhere. So obviously, this is not the 100% natural, the story is still a complete fabrication, it is staged, but it's a human story and no machine is coming in the creative process. Unless of course the camera. But again, those were the days of silver which finally have the perfect shot was a little small miracle that we discovered at the time of development. There, with digital, you see everything at once, it takes billions of pictures photographed as soon as quickly erased. And if you do not like, well are corrected to the computer. It was another world, a little more magical.




I was also really impressed because no picture of Sacha are alike. The photographer has managed to reinvent itself every shoot, to adapt to the place, the dress, the model and to order (yes, because it seems crazy but sometimes he was sent to Colombia for example, to shoot a series mind India He had to rebuild the country thousands of kilometers). It is true that I had a soft spot for David La Chapelle and his unmistakable universe. Yes, but after a while you get tired, it becomes too easy. It is as if it incorporated the same photo again and again. Here, each shoot is a surprise. This gives a fascinating retrospective where we find pictures of young models and actresses become famous (Carla Bruni, Andie MacDowell, Laetitia Casta or even unrecognizable Diane Kruger on his first shoot) but also photos of landscapes or abstract and huge panels depicting prominent magazine covers. If you're in Paris, it's really a show to see. So at the Netherlands Institute in the 7th District until 20 March. Admission is 4 € and is open every day except Monday.

same time, there is also a great book just released by Editions du Chêne which includes photos of the show but even more with captions and explanatory texts written by people who worked with Sacha throughout his career. I also lets you check out my first video made so the day of this tour by Sasha herself. Enjoy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment